In this tutorial, we will look at how to create a Google AdMob account from scratch, and how to create a first, simple banner type ad unit, as a foundation for further usage in your apps.
How to create your AdMob account
- If you don’t have a Google Account, start by creating one here.
- Once you have a Google Account, use it to login to the Google AdMob Website. If you are already logged in, you will be asked to login again for security reasons.
- The first step is to select your country, time zone, and billing currency. You will also be asked to accept the AdMob Terms & Conditions. Do so and click on “Create AdMob Account”.
- In the next step, you are asked to answer some questions about additional information Google can send to you. Do so and click on “Next: Verify your account”.
- On the “Verify your account” page, enter your phone number, select your preferred method for receiving your verification PIN, and click “Continue”.
- Enter the PIN that you received, and click on “Verify”.
- That’s it! Your Google AdMob account is now ready! Click on “Continue to AdMob” to start using your new account.
Create your first Ad Unit
- After logging in to your new AdMob account, you will be presented with a getting started message. Click on “Get Started” to continue.
- In the first step, you will be asked if you already published your App on any App Store. In this example, we’ll select “no”.
- Enter a name for your App, select the platform (in our example we will select “Android”), and click on “Add”.
- Important: On the next page, you will be presented with your unique App ID. You will need this later to wire up any ad unit you want to create for your app. So, make sure that you save it somewhere where you can access it easily. After you did so, click on “Next: Create Ad Unit” to continue with your first ad.
- On this screen, select the “Banner” ad, as it is the easiest format to implement.
- In the configuration, enter a name for your ad unit (this can be anything you like) and click “Create Ad Unit”.
- Congratulations! You successfully created your first ad unit! All that’s left to do is to save your ad unit ID, as you will need it later for implementation inside your App.
In this short tutorial, we looked at how to create a new Google AdMob account, and how to create your first ad unit. As you saw, the whole process is quite straightforward and easy to comprehend.
From here, you can use your ad (and any subsequent ads you may create) in your apps.